My francophile uncle used to make Pithiviers au Jambon. It was a special dish he would make for big family gatherings at Christmas. Everyone loved it, even if they couldn’t pronounce it. 🙂
It took me a long time to find a recipe for it in English. I found this site and used Google Translate to get the recipe in English.
My sister and I have tweaked the recipe to make it our own plus, we double the recipe and make it in a 9 x 13 pan. Here’s our version:
24 ounces of sliced mushrooms – this is an ingredient that you can adjust to your preference.
2 packages of two-sheet puffed pastry sheets (I used Pepperidge Farms brand from the grocery store freezer section)
Dijon Mustard – approximately 5 tablespoons. The amount can easily be adjusted to your preference.
Thick slices of ham – enough slices to cover a 9 x 13 pan with two layers. (Thickness should be roughly the thickness of a slice of spiral sliced ham.)
6 cups of grated gruyere cheese (Can also substitute in other types of cheese.)
1 egg yoke
- Saute mushrooms
- Roll out layer of puffed pastry such that it will line a 9 x 13 pan on bottom and sides.
- Grease pan and place pastry sheet in pan.
- Brush puffed pastry with dijon mustard
- Layer ham, cheese and mushrooms twice
- Brush top layer of ham with dijon (optional)
- Roll out top layer of puffed pastry and apply to top. Crimp edges of bottom and top together.
- Beat egg yoke in small bowl. Brush puffed pastry with egg yoke.
- Slice holes in top of puffed pastry to allow steam to escape
- Bake for 35 minutes at 410 F