My francophile uncle used to make Pithiviers au Jambon at Christmas for the big family gatherings. Everyone loved it, even if they couldn’t pronounce it. 🙂 It took me a long time to find a recipe for it in English. I found this site and used Google Translate to get the recipe in English.
For the past two Christmases, my sister and I have tried the Allrecipes version and made a few modifications, which we think makes it better. We double the recipe and make it in a 9 x 13 pan. Here’s our version:
2 packages of two-sheet puffed pastry sheets (I used Pepperidge Farms brand from freezer section)
Dijon Mustard – approximately 2 tablespoons
Thick slices of ham – enough slices to cover a 9 x 13 pan with two layers.
16 ozs of sliced mushrooms
6 cups of grated gruyere cheese (Can also substitute some of the gruyere for sharp cheddar.)
1 egg yoke
- Saute mushrooms
- Roll out layer of puffed pastry to line a 9 x 13 pan on bottom and sides
- Brush puffed pastry with dijon musard
- Layer ham, cheese and mushrooms twice
- Roll out top layer of puffed pastry and apply to top. Crimp edges of bottom and top together.
- Brush puffed pastry with egg yoke.
- Slice holes in top of puffed pastry to allow steam to escape
- Bake for 35 minutes at 410 F